Search Results

All Saint's Day

All Saint’s Day or Undas in Filipino, is one of the holidays where missing it is “frowned upon” by our entire clan. I don’t really know the normal tradition on how this holiday is celebrated since ever since, my memory of undas is a combination of a little fiesta and a reunion. And this year was no exception.

Lunch would be extended until 2 pm because of the many choices from KFC chicken to fried hito (catfish). Merienda would be a choice of cheese pimiento or chicken sandwich, all home-made. Yum! I think I gained another 2 or 3 pounds just from this weekend.

What I find funny about our tradition is, we stay until nighttime, just before dinner time, which is exactly the time when the dads and uncles are about to finish their scotch or whisky. =P While others pride themselves in going to the cemetery just to grieve for their loved ones and are not even allowed to laugh out loud (yes, I know some families), we, on the other hand, celebrate togetherness and the short time we have to catch up on the lives of our other relatives.

Alas, I left my socializing skills in the house this year. I was a lonely boy, playing with his sister’s Nintendo DS. =) There’s always next year.



taken from the Jongo mausoleum



taken from the Padilla mausoleum. my mom and grandparents



my sister and a distant cousin



my mom



my cousin eating ruffles with KFC gravy as merienda =P


the Padilla ladies


"Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon them.


May they rest in peace.
Amen."

0 comments:

Post a Comment